Sunday, September 16, 2012

Classroom Newsletters

This past week we focused on 'Classroom Newsletters' in our EECE 220 class. I had never created a newsletter so I thought it was pretty exciting and fun. In elementary school we were given weekly newsletters that were printed up for the whole school. It wasn't specific to any class or grade, and now thinking back I don't think it was as efficient as it had meant to be. This past weeks class made me think back and realize that the newsletters should have been more specific to each class or grade. Teachers could have inserted whatever general information the school wanted the students to know, while also putting in specific information each teacher wanted their students to know (test dates, projects, etc.). It may be hard to create a weekly newsletter, but a teacher can create a bi-weekly or even a monthly newsletter. Adding goals, dates, and important information into a newsletter is a great way to keep parents informed. Teachers should also make sure to add their contact info for any additional questions.

I don't see any downside to having it in the classroom, especially if you already have a pre-made template, like we did. Sometimes it may be hard to fit two pages worth of information, but that why it's just a template. It can easily be changed/edited when necessary. I definitely see myself using a newsletter in my future classrooms and will make use of this assignment/newsletter. I would try to change it up every month, maybe adding some school-themed jokes or pictures of the students. In this assignment I added "Overheard in Room 4-202" as a 'fun' little way to end the newsletter. I thought that adding positive personal quotes said by the students would make them and their parents happy. As stated before, I believe that classroom specific newsletters definitely have a place in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment