Friday, October 5, 2012

Inspiration & Kidspiration

This week in my Technology course we had to create a presentation using Inspiration. We also had to use Kidspiration and complete an exercise. This assignment was definitely different than what I was used to because it was actually fun.

The program Inspiration is definitely a useful tool that I would consider using in the future. I found that it is very similar to Powerpoint with some added bonuses. Powerpoint is mainly for presentations and doesn't really foster the ability to become as creative and involved. Inspiration on the other hand has this really cool "snapshot" option. This allows you to take a pre-made template and edit it to your liking. I used it for the topic of comparing and contrasting. I was able to move around boxed, delete and add things, change the colors and fonts, and much more! It's a great thing to have when you want something pre-made (to give you ideas, for easier use), but also something that can easily be tailored to your needs and your students. The way I would use this program would be in subjects where there is a lot of wording. For example, I probably would not use this often for math. I could write mathematical problems easily on the board, but would definitely consider using it for subtopics such as bar graphs and charts, where visuals are needed. I think that subjects such as science and social studies could use this application. The teacher doesn't have to worry about writing out all the notes, and I think that students enjoy technology and would enjoy viewing the lesson on a screen and in color.

The program Kidspiration was really fun! Even for me, a 22 year old college student. There is a wide variety of topics and subtopics for children (different ages/ranges fall under these subtopics). It is a very "hands on" (in the technological sense) and pretty simple to use. I see myself using this in my future classroom. Although every child would get the same assignment, the look of it will vary, which I think the students will enjoy. It's not just a boring homework assignment. They can change the font and colors within the assignment. I would have parents sign up for this program and use the pre-made templates to assign as homework as often as I can. Students could then print out their sheets (hopefully in color) where we can check it in class and hang it around the classroom! It's a perfect way to show students progress, knowledge, and creativity! I would also use this during a lesson. Teachers need feedback to see where their students stand. Students also LOVE to be involved in the lesson and show what they know. Kidspiration is a perfect program for that. I would also strongly consider using this with students who need extra help. They could use this program on the classroom computers to help them out. I think it's a great motivational tool that will definitely come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment